Never Lose Track of Another Task

By | Mar 26, 2008

Over the years, I have used a number of different methods to track tasks, from sticky notes stuck to my monitor, to a steno pad to write down tasks. While I still use a steno pad to write down tasks as they come to me, my main organizational tool is Microsoft Outlook. Using the Tasks function, you can keep your task list, set reminders, make notes, and even create a recurring task for those daily, weekly and monthly tasks on your list.

To use Tasks in Microsoft Outlook, first click on either the Tasks button on the Outlook Shortcut Bar or on Tasks in the Folder List:

outlooktaskbutton.gif

You can create a new task in one of two ways. You can click in the box that says “Click Here to add a new task”.

outlooktaskclickhere.gif

Type in the name of the task and hit enter, and the task will be created. However, it will not have any reminder or other options set, so you will have to double click on the task to set the options you want.

Alternatively, you can do what I do and just double click on a blank space in the task window to bring up the Task dialog box, where you can enter all of the options you want for this task.

outlooktasksdialog.gif

In the Task dialog box, you can set the Due Date, the Start Date, the Priority Level, and the status of the Task. You can also set your reminders, and make any pertinent notes about the task such as a timeline for the task or notes on the status of the task.

By setting reminders for your tasks, you can not only get reminders so you don’t forget the task, but also snooze the reminders so it keeps popping up until you have time to work on it. And you don’t have to spend all the time rewriting each day’s task lists to include tasks not finished yesterday along with the new tasks for today.

Next post: Setting up recurring tasks.

iRobot Pet Series

1. Lindsay (8 comments) March 26, 2008 11:18 am

Thanks for sharing the task information. I never knew how to do this.

Lindsay’s last blog post..10 tips for road trips with your dog

2. Jodith (189 comments) March 26, 2008 2:50 pm

I’m glad you found it helpful, Lindsay.  I’m going to cover recurring tasks next, which I could never work without.

3. Edy (2 comments) March 26, 2008 5:14 pm

Learning how to do tasks in Outlook has been on my task list for ages! Thanks very much.

4. Barbara Swafford (8 comments) March 26, 2008 8:53 pm

Hi Jodith,Steno pads?  I haven’t heard that term for awhile. I used those when I learned shorthand.  lol   :)I just spent the last hour setting this up.  I was still using the old Outlook, only because I was too lazy to change it.  I entered a few tasks with a “reminder”, so now I’m waiting to see how it works.  I’ll be back to read how to do recurring tasks.  That would be great for blogging.  Thanks for sharing!

Barbara Swafford’s last blog post..Join Me In Helping A Fellow Blogger

5. Jodith (189 comments) March 27, 2008 5:55 am

Yes, Barbara, steno pads *laughs*.  I like something bound so I don’t lose pages, and I like something small enough to carry around easily.  Steno pads are perfect for that.  They’re also great for taking meeting minutes, because the pages flip neatly.

6. Sheila (2 comments) April 9, 2008 7:41 am

I can’t live without my steno pad. It’s my memory! I put the date each day so I can refer back as needed and use the small post it flags to tag items that I need to go back to. My boss knows if he tells me something without my trusty steno pad that it is not guaranteed to get done 😉