8 Ways to Stay Fit in the Office

By | Nov 20, 2008

Let’s face it, we spend most of our day sitting at our desks, and between the demands of work and family, getting to the gym just isn’t always an option.  So what do we do to help keep in shape?  I went out and scoured the web and found a variety of websites to help you maintain your fitness while sitting at your desk.  While they aren’t a substitute for regular exercise, every little bit helps.  So, here’s a selection to help you stay fit, relieve tension, and avoid repetitive strain injuries:

For those who are more visually oriented, here’s a couple of Youtube videos to help you out:

First, try some stretches:

Now for some harder exercises:

If you want to see more videos, here’s a list of desk exercise video’s on YouTube.

How do you keep in shape while working in what is a basically sedentary job?

1. The Fitness Diva (1 comments) November 20, 2008 1:57 pm

This is good. Have you been using these videos yourself? I believe in practicing what I advise…no better way to know what really works, right?
    How is it going so far, and which vid is your favorite one to do?

2. Jodith (189 comments) November 20, 2008 6:56 pm

I’ve been doing the stretches from the first video. They’ve been great for pulling the knots out of my shoulders that you tend to develop when you sit at a computer all day. Other than that, I have a routine that I learned years ago to help maintain some muscle fitness. It hits the main muscle groups, and I can do it in a series of breaks throughout the day. Unfortunately, I found it in a magazine years ago, and couldn’t find the same one for this article.

My main exercise comes from walking. I’m usually out with the dogs 4 or 5 days a week in the park. That’s where I get what cardio I can tolerate. Because I have Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia, I’m somewhat limited in what I can do, but it’s important to do as much as I can as that actually helps my condition. It’s a funny balancing act us CFS/FMS folks do, but it’s worth it in the long run if it helps ameliorate part of our condition.

3. Fitness Tips (1 comments) July 24, 2009 1:25 pm

Most of us tend to ignore our exercising schedules thanks to our busy lives. Something that can help you stay fit (till whatever extent) even when at work is no less then blessing. Thanks for sharing.

4. Mark (1 comments) December 29, 2009 12:10 pm

I’m at work and just went through these. The elbow grab is amazing!

5. Jodith (189 comments) December 30, 2009 11:30 am

Yeah, I particularly like the elbow grab. I have a tendency towards a pinched nerve right between the shoulder blades, and this helps stretch that area out and eases the pain.

6. employee scheduling software (1 comments) April 8, 2010 10:02 am

I walk around for ten minutes every hour in order to keep me moving. I also have dumbells that i do every hour.
    .-= employee scheduling software´s last blog ..Tips On Buying The Right Software =-.

7. Ashram (1 comments) June 10, 2010 2:19 pm

Desk chair fitness is nice video also I would like to mention Yoga here. Their are a few Yoga exersizes that you can do while sitting on a chair. One I would like to share. Press both hands on both sides of the chair and lift your whole waist up and down, repeat it a few times. It’s a good workout and very good for your hips, too. Thanks for video.
    Ashram from India

8. Fitness Centers (1 comments) June 29, 2010 9:34 pm

Nice tips. Lot of people don’t know how to be fit during working hours. Thanks.

9. Franking Machine (1 comments) September 9, 2010 2:58 am

This should prove to be of great use to anyone within the office sector in their work since posture and back trouble plague us all. As such i think its well worth everyone taking a lesson from this using it to keep that little bit fitter and hopefully suffer less from bad posture.