For Beginners: Keyboarding

By | Apr 12, 2015

I will be writing some posts especially for beginners in the clerical field. Helpful tips and what to learn to progress in an administrative career. These will be posted to the category For Beginners and will include For Beginners in the title.

For those just starting out in the clerical field, I cannot stress enough working on your keyboarding skills. Many secretarial and administrative assistant jobs will require typing at a rate of 50 words per minute or higher. The only way to attain and maintain those speeds is practice!

Here’s a few sites on-line where you can get some keyboarding practice:

• Peter’s On-line Typing Course – this is the best one, in my opinion. The text is a bit pedantic, but then, so am I. Overall, though, this seems to be a very complete keyboarding tutorial.
  • Typing Tutorial – this site has a good general tutorial as well as games and tests to help you reach your goal.
  • Keyboard Lessons – 10 lessons for keyboarding. Gives good feedback, but the interface is a bit annoying.

If you want an offline typing program, you can always get the inimitable Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing. This is a classic computer program that’s been used for decades.

Remember, the best way to increase and maintain your typing speed is to practice, practice, PRACTICE!

1. Lee Lacy (1 comments) August 19, 2008 3:55 pm

For a lot of fun keyboarding practice games, see the website I created with typing games for my after-school group to use. Over the years it’s grown and now has over 50 typing games!  It’s a kid-safe site — I work hard to ensure that when links go to outside pages, those pages don’t have inappropriate ads or links to non-educational games, and I update the site regularly. http://www.auntlee.com/kids
     Thanks for your time,

2. Jodith (189 comments) August 19, 2008 4:09 pm

Thanks, Lee.  This looks like a great resource you’ve put together.

3. Natural Pain Remedies (1 comments) December 4, 2008 7:55 am

I also tried these games, so it is not just a great fun, but they also give good results, but anyway you need to practice every day to achieve results.

4. Jodith (189 comments) December 4, 2008 12:29 pm

Thanks for the comment!

Yes, the key to really increasing your speed and accuracy is practicing every day. Even though my typing skill is pretty good now (after 30 years, it ought to be), I still do practice tests if I know I’m going to have to do skill testing for a job application. Just a couple of days of practice can really plump up your testing speed and accuracy if you have to do skills testing.

5. Ben (2 comments) September 15, 2009 8:04 am

Great tools, we regularly use them when teaching typing.
    .-= Ben´s last blog .. =-.

6. John @ Educational Software Sales (1 comments) February 2, 2010 5:54 am

Here’s some tips in body posture in keyboarding.
    • spine straight against back of chair leaning slightly forward from the waist
    • centered in front of keyboard
    • sitting a comfortable distance from keyboard
    • feet on the floor (if possible), slightly apart for body balance
    .-= John @ Educational Software Sales´s last blog ..Computer Games with Learning Value are part of Educational Software =-.

7. Mithun (1 comments) April 7, 2010 8:30 pm

May be you can cover some thing related to unhealthy way of using keyboard. it can sometimes cause physical disabilities.

8. Anu (3 comments) April 9, 2010 3:21 am

“Practice makes the man perfect” completely fits here. I personally think playing loads of games using keyboard will not really help, instead of doing this one must practice to type notes, letters and articles. For secretarial jobs proper typing without mistakes is much more important than just showing your speed. Very helpful websites you’ve posted.

9. Simeon (1 comments) September 10, 2010 1:13 pm

I’m currently taking my teaching assistant qualifications and had no idea how important good keyboard skills were in the classroom. I wish I’d learnt to type years ago.